Wednesday 27 August 2008

A must read for every Christian


Having just finished watching The Genius of Darwin on 4oD (God bless you Channel 4) I thought I'd dig out my copy of the above book. I read it 2 years ago when it was first published and was keen to reacquaint myself with its contents. I'm only just a few dozen pages into it, but without reading it completely for the second time I feel able to raise some of the questions Dawkin's asks.

The main premise of the book is, can the existence of God survive scientific empirical examination, and not to spoil the end for those who haven't read it, but the answer is no.

Bronze age cosmology is not appropriate for today. We, as humans, have had to change the way we think about the Universe. No longer can we be geocentric in our outlook. Neither can we think in terms of a three tiered universe - consequently there is no such thing as "up". As Bishop John Robinson said some 40 years ago, we cannot just shuffle the mental furniture around and pretend we have a new room, we need to get the Transit down to Ikea pronto! (well, he did say the first bit).

No-one likes to have to radically rethink anything. The comfort of the familiar is much more................comfortable!!?! But we do need to rethink and re-evaluate how we frame God. Otherwise we might continue in our delusion.

No comments: