Saturday 16 August 2008

Come into my wing mirror, said the spider to the fly

In the top left corner of my wing mirror you can just about make out the body of a spider and part of his web. He is actually one of two - the other one, his cousin I presume, lives in the right hand one.

I've always spotted the webs but never saw the boys in action. Then one day, when I was parked I glimpsed both of them dragging some poor wee sod of a fly behind the glass.

I'm always amazed at how they manage to survive at all! It just shows you how strong the survival instinct is in all life. Life just gets on with it, no matter how tough it is. With this in mind, should we be making it any harder for animals (ourselves included) than absolutely necessary?!

There is an attraction in living simply but also a repulsion. As I sit here typing on my laptop I don't feel 'able' to ditch the creature comforts, even though I know that I don't need 90% of the crap I live with. And yet...........I'm loathe to get rid of things because without them I might feel hard done by.

If I had a simple life then I might not be putting pressure on the rest of Nature. I'm not going to save the world, don't get me wrong, unless I'm Superman and not known it, but I am responsible for me and what I do.

While I ponder the mysteries of Life and living I will keep half an eye out for Incy and Wincy, should there ever make an appearance again. God bless those little guys!

1 comment:

Blog owner said...

I've noticed a lot more wing mirrors covered by webs in Spring and Summer. Because I ride a motorbike, I worry that drivers won't see me when the sun shines on the web in front of the mirror. So when I pull up beside one, I often wipe away the web with my gloved finger. So far every driver has given a thumbs up or said thanks. I hope I never upset anyone who is enjoying the eight-legged company.