Wednesday 15 October 2008

Strictly Come Off It!

'Strictly' is one of my guilty little secrets. If anyone asks me do I watch it, I reply "I've never seen it!". The truth, of course, is much darker. I never watch it.......intentionally. I'm in front of the telly when it's on, but I'm always too busy reading, or typing to be truly watching it. I suppose it's more a question of keeping an eye on it.

It's one of those love-hate things. Bruce Forsythe gets right on my tits and I'd love to slowly throttle him with Tess Daly joining in so the two of us could look at the camera, Forsythe's near limp body in our clenched fists, while we both say, "Keeeeeeeeep strangling!".

As with most of these reality TV programs they have a habit of sucking you into them. I think it's because you get to watch people in their highs and lows, and see them progress in their desire to win, or at least improve. And I do have my favourites - ah.....Ola!

But have these shows had their day? And are they becoming more about the Panel of Judges than the contestants?

Reality is hard enough without turning it into a game show. Apart from The Family on Channel 4 which is a real reality show, most of them are actually an escape from reality. There's a cosiness and security that draws you in and says, "In this tough, tough world, where the Credit Crunches hardest, and the Winters of Discontent last for 12 months at a time, why not come into our safe little world where even the harsh word of a Judge will always be balanced out by the boos of the crowd".

And it's a temptation that many of us, myself included, find hard to resist. So come on Ola! Come on John! Eat sh*t and die Brendan! You've made my Saturday that little bit less real. Thanks.

No comments: