Wednesday 4 June 2008

If 'Meat is Murder', is Quorn wasting Police time?




For the last 8 months now I have returned to a vegetarian, or as it's known today, a 'meat free' diet. I was veggie for 3 years and have decided to return to it.

I do it, not for reasons of health (you just need to look at me for confirmation of that!) but for ethical reasons. Or more honestly, because I myself wouldn't have it in me to kill an animal so I've decided not to ask anyone to do it on my behalf.

I've no problem with people eating meat and would cook it if I had to - I'm not 'evangelical' about my vegetarianism. I just don't want to do it.

I suppose part of it comes from my appreciation of animals as sentient beings (to a greater or lesser degree) and the realisation that most animals, ourselves included, aren't that keen on ending up as a meal for something else. Lesser animals don't have much of a choice - you can't really expect a lion to go vegan. But we humans do have a choice. We don't have to eat meat. We can if we want to, but we're not obliged to do so, and for that reason I do not do so.
Process Theology (good old PT, my new best friend) talks about the relatedness of all live, from the ameba to the human being, and how our actions have both positive and negative consequences for those around us. Now of course, we want to minimise suffering as best we can, and we know that Nature's progression is dependent on death, but that does not mean that I myself need to contribute to it.

So to that end, I make myself the bane of any dinner party and encourage the ire of those who feel the need to cook only one meal. It's a heavy price to pay but one I'll willing to endure.   

No comments: