Saturday 13 September 2008

It's all Downhill from here

Today I spent the most pleasant couple of hours in my own company. Normally I'm fairly good about being alone, but usually crave some sort of human contact after a while but today was different. After watching Bangor getting a 3-1 thrashing by Coleraine I needed a 'nice' experience.

I drove along to Downhill beach and walked along it for around half an hour. It was a calm day, not sunny but not cold either. Lots of people were about and a few families were having BBQs on the sand. People were fishing or playing games. It was a lovely atmosphere. From Downhill you can see Mussenden Temple, and it was there where I next walked.

The air was crisp and the smell of the sea was pleasant in my nostrils. The setting sun lit up the clouds with a beautiful reddy glow, and it was silent. Absolutely silent. It was almsot a 'spiritual' experience. It reminded me that the North Coast, and especially the Downhill area, is my little Heaven on earth. If God were ever to take holidays, I'm sure S/He would rent a little cottage there. I don't think I could ever tire from a place like it and it did my soul good to walk there. Many, many pleasant memories flooded through me, and I must admit I did feel a little emotional. There was a sense of oneness with Nature - nothing really mattered - nothing was really important other than enjoying being there and enjoying being alive. I snapped away with my little camera phone and will post a selection of them so that you can enjoy a taste of what I had.

No comments: