Monday 28 July 2008

eBay gum!


It sometimes takes a great leap of faith for me to trust t'InterWeb, especially when it comes to online shopping and the like. So far, I've managed to overcome my distrust of Amazon and use it without a second thought.

It's a different matter, however, when it comes to eBay. Amazon is a big company. eBay has individual nerdy gits trying to offload their tat onto unsuspecting mugs like me. When I order from Amazon it arrives. I don't quite have the same confidence with eBay (even with all the measures they have in place).

So recently I put a bid on a particular gadget. Immediately I was overwhelmed by two conflicting emotions:
  1. oh crap, I might not get this, and
  2. oh crap, I might actually get this
In the past, when I did tentatively bid for something, the moment I was outbid was a moment of great relief - at least I didn't have to see whether it would arrive or not!

Now I realise that hundreds of thousands of people use eBay frequently, and without any problems, but there is that invisible, mental wall to get over. Once over it will no doubt cease to exist, but until then I continue to be plagued with these polemic feelings.

And don't get me started on PayPal!!

No comments: